Tuesday, November 12, 2013

LinkedIn for Executives: How Do You Stack Up?

If you're an executive using LinkedIn, chances are you have unique challenges and unique needs compared to the average working professional.

How do you stack up against these items? Give yourself one point* for every "YES." Subtract one point if you answered "YES" to items 6 or 19.
  1. I’m on LinkedIn
  2. I know why I’m on LinkedIn
  3. I’ve completed my LinkedIn profile
    Don't use a "selfie" as your
    LinkedIn profile photo. 
  4. I review and update my LinkedIn profile once per quarter
  5. I personalize invitations to connect
  6. I accept all invitations
  7. I know what to do with invites from people I don’t know
  8. I hide my connections
  9. I know how to modify my profile settings…
  10. … when I make updates, so my network does not see the edits as I make them
  11. … if I want to privately view a profile
  12. My company is on LinkedIn (company page)
  13. My professional summary on LinkedIn mirrors my professional bio
  14. My photo on LinkedIn is a professional headshot (NOT a “selfie”)
  15. I know how to access LinkedIn HELP
  16. I am aware of the value of LinkedIn groups
  17. I participate in group discussions (post or read)
  18. I review my LinkedIn homefeed weekly
  19. My assistant manages my LinkedIn for me
  20. If I have multiple emails that I use professionally (work, gmail, etc.), they are all linked to my LinkedIn account
  21. I have only one LinkedIn profile
  22. I’ve looked at my peers’ profiles on LinkedIn
  23. I’ve looked at competitors’ company pages on LinkedIn
  24. I know how to modify what displays on my public profile
  25. I've added my board affiliations to my LinkedIn profile
  26. Use a professional photo for your
    LinkedIn profile photo.
  27. I am connected with Brenda Meller on LinkedIn

This is just a sampling of common concerns that executives face when working with LinkedIn. In the next few months, I'll be blogging an explanation for each topic and provide instructions on each when applicable.

Was this blog interesting? Please click to share on your professional network.

** Extra bonus points if you share this blog as a LinkedIn status update.

No comments:

Post a Comment